Had a little time to kill today, so I wandered over to the Family History Library, the famed Salt Lake City repository billed as “the largest genealogy library in the world.” When in Rome, right?
With a little help from library staff, I fairly quickly constructed a portion of my family tree and discovered a direct hereditary line that included Knute Rockne, John Wesley Hardin, Benjamin Franklin and Moses. Fist bump!
While I was there, and since I’m in Salt Lake City to cover basketball, I figured I would snoop around some of the Warriors’ genealogical records. What I found may shock you:
* Stephen Curry’s father, as it turns out, is Wardell Curry Sr. He was a famous professional lacrosse player.
* Jerry West is NOT related to David West.
* Draymond Green’s great-great-great-great-great grandfather was a hero of the Battle of New Orleans. He stopped a British advance by accidentally kicking an enemy colonel in the nuts and was assessed the Flagrant 2 Medal of Honor.
* Interim head coach Mike Brown’s cousins include Jim Brown, Jerry Brown, James Brown, veteran coach Larry Brown, Mordecai (Three Fingers) Brown, Antonio Brown, “Da Vinci Code” author Dan Brown, Theotis Brown, Food Network personality Alton Brown, abolitionist John Brown, Charlie Brown, Les Brown (and his Band of Renown) and Newcastle Brown Ale.
* Matt Barnes has an ancestor who was integral in construction of the Empire State Building, and had a neck tattoo that said Grindin’.
* You probably knew that Zaza Pachulia is from Georgia, but his mother’s side is from suburban Atlanta, while his father’s side is based all the way down in Savannah.
* JaVale McGee had a great-great-great-great grandfather who fought valiantly in the Civil War, but for only 4 minutes at a time.
* Kevin Durant is Rudy Gobert’s daddy.
* As a bonus, I researched the first person to leave a negative comment here. Turns out your mother is a hamster and your father smells of elderberries.